Everest, Gokyo & The Cho La Pass
A trek of epic proportions, this trip takes you up the Everest Base Camp trail and deep into the Himalayas, before crossing the renowned Cho La pass into the Gokyo region. From soaring 8000m peaks to shining glacial lakes this trek covers an incredible diversity of landscapes.
Because of the altitude and the terrain this is no walk in the park, the pass itself involves crossing the top of the Cho La glacier over hundreds of metres of ice. It’s a real mountaineering experience requiring technical equipment and experienced guides. If you want to get stuck in and take on a challenge this trek will reward you will some of the most impressive scenery on the planet.
“What an amazing trip! The scenery, the atmosphere and the sense of achievement is something I will never forget. It was tough but with such an amazing leader and local support crew I was determined to reach Everest Base Camp – I honestly don’t think I would have made it with any other leader!”
19 (15 days of trekking)
Daily walking time:
3 to 10 hours
Max team size:
23 Nov – 11 Dec 2019
You’ll need to be reasonably fit to take this trip on, the trek involves walking at high altitude for several days, so you’ll need to be prepared for some tough physical & mental challenges.
Arriving in Kathmandu
Kathmandu is the vibrant capital of Nepal, jam packed with temples, taxis and tea-stalls. See our city guide for more info: See Kathmandu Guide >
Fly to Lukla
A short but spectacular flight over the mountains takes us to Lukla (2840m). Where we set off to Phakding
Phakding to Namche Bazaar
Namche Bazaar is a Nepalese trading town and the capital of the Sherpa people. Here you will have a final opportunity to buy any missing items. On this journey you will enjoy your first view of Mt Everest.
Namche Bazaar to Khumjung
A steep morning climb with the most incredible views of Mt Everest and surrounding peaks.
Khumjung to Dole
Our trail climbs steeply out of a valley to Dole where you can relax with magnificent views of Mt Khumbila and Mt Tawoche to keep you company
Dole to Machherma
A steep climb and a traverse along the mountain-side takes us towards Mt Machhermo. The Dudh Koshi river roars below and mountains tower over the trail.
Machherma to Gokyo
A winding path leads over the Ngozumba Glacier past mounds of rubble and creaking pools of ice to the opposite side and onto Gokyo.
Visit 5th Lake
A stunning trek up the Gokyo valley towards the 8,000m giant Cho Oyu
Gokyo Ri (5360) then trek to Dragnag
Next to Gokyo lies Gokyo Ri hill, well worth climbing for a jaw-dropping panorama of Everest, Lhotse, Makalu and Cho Oyu. Leaving Gokyo, we’ll cross the Ngozumba Glacier and climb to the village of Dragnag.
Dragnag to Dzonglha
Arguably the toughest day of the trek but equally memorable. Scrambling past a sheer wall of mountains we reach the end of the Cho La Glacier. This immense mass of glacial ice stretches across the entire pass, so with crampons we’ll cross the glistening sea of ice.
Dzonglha to Lobuche
A steady walk takes us to Lobuche in the Khumbu valley.
Lobuche to Gorak Shep with evening hike to Kalapatar
The optional trek up Kala Patthar hill provides a fabulous view point of Mount Everest.
Gorak Shep to EBC to Loubuche
Prepare yourselves for a long day!! The morning will be spent taking a steady walk to Everest Base Camp at 5367m and after celebrations and photos we’ll be heading back to Lobuche for a well deserved rest.
Incredible views of Mt Tawache and Mt Cholatse. En route to the summer village of Lobuche (4910m), you will have the sobering experience of walking through Chukpilhara, with memorials to sherpas and climbers who lost their lives on Mount Everest.
Loubuche to Pangboche
Our journey will take us through Tengboche (3860m); the religious centre for the whole of the Sherpa lands and home of the largest Buddhist monastery in Nepal. On this day, you will have great views of Island Peak (6189m).
Pangboche to Namche Bazar
Namche Bazar to Lukla
We’ll be retracing our steps back down to Lukla, where hot showers and good food await!
Lukla to Kathmandu
After flying back to the hustle and bustle of Kathmandu, you’ll be free for the rest of the day to rest and recuperate or explore the city.
½ day guided tour of Kathmandu
We’ll be offering an included half-day tour of Kathmandu, led by a local English speaking guide – don’t forget your camera!
The Fitways Adventures goal is to provide you with a stress & hassle free trip a cut above the rest. We go the extra mile to organize everything using quality sources so you can sit back and enjoy the trip. We don’t want to be one of the companies guiding trains of people up the mountain, so we limit our group size to 10, giving you a more personal service. We also include hidden trip costs in our prices so there aren’t any nasty surprises. Feedback from clients going on other trips concluded that they were frustrated at having to continually pay out additional money. Many companies don’t provide meals for example, and these can prove expensive at altitude. We have supplied an inclusive price so nothing can spoil your trip.
The only additional costs to you are your international flights, travel insurance and the visa required for entering Nepal (£25 for a 30 day visa – processed on entry)
- Local guides with good English and a good knowledge of local flora & fauna.
- International Mountain Leader (most trekking companies don’t provide this)
- Porters to carry equipment – each person will have a 10kg weight allowance – our porters are professionally kitted out and fully insured.
- Pick-up from Kathmandu airport
- 3 nights’ B&B accommodation in a smart, modern hotel in Kathmandu
- 15 nights’ food & accommodation in teahouses – these are basic but clean and you will usually be sharing a twin room
- All meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner) during the trek
- Morning tea with breakfast, along with one or two tea breaks and snacks during the day.
- Flights from Kathmandu to Lukla, including domestic taxes
- All Permits on the mountain
- Water (due to environmental considerations, we don’t buy bottled water on the hill, we purify our own)
- A half-day guided tour to see the spectacular sights of Kathmandu when you return from the trek.
- Up to 3 hot showers while on the mountain – subject to availability
What’s Not Included:
- International flights
- Arrival Visa in Nepal
- Travel Insurance – please ensure you have comprehensive travel insurance, including cover for delays, repatriation and emergency rescue.
- Equipment – although we will assist you if you need buy/hire any items prior to the start of your trek (See our Kit List)
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu
- Any additional meals and drinks you may decide to purchase
- Tips for local guides and porters
- There is a single room supplement of £105 if you want your own room whilst in Kathmandu, as opposed to a twin/double.