Annapurna Sanctuary Trek
This expedition takes you on a journey into the breath taking peaks of the Annapurna region in Central Nepal. It gives UK travellers the unique opportunity to get into the heart of the Himalayas in just two weeks of holidays.
One of the draws of this trek is the rich diversity of birds, animals and plants in the region. As the altitude increases we will encounter sub-tropical lowlands, rhododendron forests, alpine meadows, desert plateaus and glacial terrain.
Annapurna Base Camp itself is set in an astonishing natural amphitheatre, with stunning 360° views of soaring peaks, and of course the mighty Annapurna itself, the 10th highest mountain on the planet.
The Annapurna Trek is a breath taking, once in a lifetime experience. The people, the food, the Fitways team and the views are truly amazing. The trek is a great opportunity to view this breath taking country and see Nepal in all its natural beauty. The team at fitways leave no stone unturned from arrival, to kit, to providing a great team of Nepalese support crew who make this one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Nothing can prepare you for the stunning view of Annapurna as you arrive at base camp and its leaves you feeling in awe as you take in this immense spectacle of a mountain. I can only thank Nick and his amazing team for making this trek first class from start to finish!!!
14 (10 days of trekking)
Daily walking time:
3 to 7 hours
Max team size:
02 Nov – 17 Nov 2019
Anyone’s welcome on this trek including newcomers to trekking, just keep in mind that some of the walking days can be long. The most important thing you’ll need is a positive mental attitude!
Want to do it your way?
If you have a group size of 4 or more people, and have ideas for a different itinerary just get in touch with us and we’ll be happy to discuss possibilities.
Don’t want to leave?
You book your flights so you can set the dates, if you want to extend your trip feel free.
Arriving in Kathmandu
Kathmandu is the vibrant capital of Nepal, jam packed with temples, taxis and tea-stalls. You’ll then have a chance to meet your fellow trekkers and get to know the Fitways Adventures team and collect any equipment you need before we head out.
Drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara
We’ll be taking a private vehicle to Pokhara, a lively lakeside town in Central Nepal known for its spectacular panorama of the Central Himalaya.
Start of Trek – Phedi to Tolka (1790m)
Following an early breakfast we’ll be following an uphill forest trail leading onto a ridge where we’ll be rewarded with some spectacular mountain views.
Tolka to Jhinu Danda (1750m)
With the the Modi Khola River roaring far below, we’ll head up the Modi Valley to the lodges at Jhinu Danda, where you can visit the areas’ hot springs.
Jhinu Danda to Bamboo (2310m)
The day starts climbing to peaceful Chomrong; have a cup of tea on one of the hillside patios overlooking the mountains. We then tackle the forests of bamboo, rhododendrons and oak, reaching the secluded lodges at Bamboo.
Bamboo to Deurali (3200m)
A steep climb through bamboo forests, across an avalanche chute and some rocky landslides takes us to the Himalayan Hotel.
Deurali to Machhapuchhare Base Camp (3700m)
Leaving Deurali the path climbs up the wide valley with the entrance to Annapurna Sanctuary visible overhead. Following the Modi Khola River we’ll arrive at Machhapuchhare Base Camp, this is a short day to allow for acclimatisation, but that’s no bad thing. Sit outside with a cup of tea and soak up the incredible panorama of Hiunchuli, Annapurna 1, Annapurna 3, Gangapurna and Machhapuchhare.
Machhapuchhare Base Camp to Annapurna Base Camp (4200m)
This magical trek to Annapurna Base Camp is another short walk, but can’t be done at speed because of the altitude. It’s a steady, enjoyable walk up the valley and into the sanctuary itself. You’ll have time to relax in the afternoon: admire the views, go for a wander or sit in the teahouse with some high altitude pizza and apple pie, who would have guessed it? The clouds can come in here during the day, but you can usually bank on a clear morning, and if you stay up late take a peek outside in the dark, the night skies are really something to see. With the lack of atmosphere countless pinprick stars that are normally hidden to the naked eye appear.
Annapurna Base Camp to Bamboo (2310m)
Enjoy the incredible morning views, and if you’re keen with the camera wake up early for sunrise over Annapurna.
Bamboo to Chomrong
Walking through the many valleys can be hard work, after descending to the Chomrong Khola we then climb the never ending staircase to Chomrong. After showers and dinner we have arranged a little surprise for you!
Chomrong to Ghandruk (1990m)
On this day we’ll split from our original path and head towards Ghandruk, an extremely pretty settlement of Gurung houses. Tread through the maze of stone paths dodging the chickens to get to our lodge overlooking the mountains.
Ghandruk to Naya Pul
This stunning walk shows rural Nepal at its best. We’ll meet the bus in Naya Pul and make the 2hr drive back to Pokhara and to civilisation – this can be a rather strange but welcome adjustment. After arriving at our hotel, we will leave our trekking kit behind and get ready for a celebratory night out with the team.
Drive from Pokhara to Kathmandu
We return to Kathmandu overland to avoid issue with flight delays/cancellations.
Return to the UK
Following breakfast at the hotel, we can arrange transport for you to the airport or if you have made arrangements to stay in Kathmandu, we would be more than happy to give you suggestions of places to visit & things to see.
The Fitways Adventures goal is to provide you with a stress & hassle free trip a cut above the rest. We go the extra mile to organize everything using quality sources so you can sit back and enjoy the trip. We don’t want to be one of the companies guiding trains of people up the mountain, so we limit our group size to 10, giving you a more personal service. We also include hidden trip costs in our prices so there aren’t any nasty surprises. Feedback from clients going on other trips concluded that they were frustrated at having to continually pay out additional money. Many companies don’t provide meals for example, and these can prove expensive at altitude. We have supplied an inclusive price so nothing can spoil your trip.
The only additional costs to you are your international flights, travel insurance and the visa required for entering Nepal (£25 for a 30 day visa – processed on entry)
- Local guides with good English and a good knowledge of local flora & fauna.
- First-aid qualified Western guide (most trekking companies don’t provide this)
- Porters to carry equipment – each person will have a 10kg weight allowance – our porters are professionally kitted out and fully insured.
- Pick-up from Kathmandu airport
- 2 nights’ food & accommodation in a smart, modern hotel in Kathmandu
- 2 nights’ food & accommodation in a hotel in Pohkara
- 14 nights’ food & accommodation in teahouses – these are basic but clean and you will usually be sharing a twin room. (Note: Accommodation at the top 3 camps (Deurali to ABC) is notoriously oversubscribed so we may need to share rooms with other trekkers.)
- All meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner) – 1 Item from the menu
- Morning tea with breakfast, along with one or two tea breaks and snacks during the day.
- All Permits on the mountain
- Water (due to environmental considerations, we don’t buy bottled water on the hill, we purify our own)
- Porter & Guide tips – it’s customary to tip guides and porters in Nepal, and we’ve made a provision for this within the price.
- Up to 3 hot showers while on the mountain – subject to availability
- Entry into the hot springs in Jhinu Danda
What’s Not Included:
- International flights
- Arrival Visa in Nepal
- Travel Insurance – please ensure you have comprehensive travel insurance, including cover for delays, repatriation and emergency rescue.
- Equipment – although we will assist you if you need buy/hire any items prior to the start of your trek (See our Kit List)
- Any additional meals and drinks you may decide to purchase
- There is a single room supplement of £80 if you want your own room whilst in Kathmandu, as opposed to a twin/double.